Monday, April 20, 2009

C-Y-O: Laundry Soap



First came the homemade cloth diapers, now homemade laundry soap, makes you wonder what is next, huh?

After doing some investigating, I found out that I could make my own laundry soap that would work well for washing cloth diapers that wouldn't be too harsh for the baby's skin. After seeing how easy it would be and how little it would cost, I thought, "Sign me up."

We had leftover Ivory soap at church from a soap carving project that was about to get tossed, so I grabbed it up. (I think I have 30 bars and you only use a third of a bar for each 2 gallon batch. I think that it will last me quite some time.)

A friend was getting rid of her Pampered Chef cheese grater and donated it to the cause.

I already use Borax for household cleaning, so stealing a half cup from my open box was not a big deal.

All I needed was to track down the washing soda. I checked all of the normal stores, Wal-Mart, Target, the dollar store, two grocery stores, before finding it at our old grocery store by our former apartment. I think it cost under $3.

I also purchased a two gallon bucket from the dollar section of the grocery store.

All ready to roll.



1) Grate 1/3 of a bar of Ivory. Into a large stockpot. Add 6 cups of water and heat on stove top until soap is dissolved.

2. Add 1/2 cup of washing soda.

3. Add 1/2 cup of Borax. Stir until dissolved.


4. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups of hot water into a bucket. Add the soap mixture and stir. Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir.

5. Store in the bucket covered. I think I will be getting a shower cap to cover mine. You may want to stir the soap before each use. (I will be using the yard stick we have in the laundry room to do the job.) Use 1/2 cup per load of clothes.

No comments: