Friday, August 20, 2010

Foodie Friday: Refrigerator Dill Pickles

This is being posted late in the day. I would like to say that it is because I have been busy helping with this,

but that would be a great exaggeration. Instead it is because I have been taking care of this,
Do you like her hair? It is her first pony!!!
Back to Foodie Friday. I made these pickles last week. They are quick and easy. And they got Mr. Cherry's stamp of approval. I was a little nervous since he has fond memories of his grandmother's refrigerator dill recipe. They are a tad on the sweet side for me. I absolutely love DILL pickles. Not bread and butter or any other variety. I am a strictly dill kind of gal. These are on the verge of sweet, but just made the cut for me.
Ingredients:
-1 c white vinegar
-1 T salt
-2 c white sugar
-2 bay leaves
-2 t ground mustard

-fresh dill
-garlic cloves, smashed
-hot pepper, sliced
-cucumbers (We didn't grow cucumbers this year, so I got mine from the farmer's market. Since they were so large, I ended up slicing them. I tried to use my Pampered Chef crinkle cutter, but it was a bit dull, so we got standard slices.)

Some of my jars turned out red because I ran out of salt and had to substitute season salt! They still taste good!
Directions:
1. Combine vinegar, salt, sugar, bay leaves, and mustard in sauce pan. Bring to boil over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when the salt and sugar are completely dissolved into the vinegar.
2. Prepare pint jars by thoroughly washing and drying.
3. Stuff each jar with cucumbers, 2-3 cloves garlic, a few pepper slices, and several heads fresh dill.
4. Pour liquid over the contents of each jar. Place lid on each jar and put in refrigerator. May be eaten after 24 hours in the fridge.

No comments: