Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday: Paisley Tote Bag


I recently found myself looking for a new purse. I was getting tired of hauling around the full out diaper bag, but I knew that a regular purse wouldn't cut it for all if the "momma" things I need to haul around. I looked at the local stores and nothing was really striking my fancy. Then I found this tutorial for a tote bag at the blog Kerri Made. (Part 1/Part 2)
I decided that the Michael Miller Playful Paisley that I had on had would be just the fabric to create this bag. Unfortunately I didn't realize what a challenge I would have in finding coordinating fabric. I finally settled on a solid for the bag top and a brown polka dot for the lining.
Type of Tutorial: Sewing
Skill Level: Advanced beginner
Changes: I would definitely add more interior pockets if I were to make this bag again. Especially since I am using it as a diaper bag. I did add the magnetic clasp like she suggested. Instead of cutting two pieces for each handle, sewing, and turning right side out, I would cut one piece, press the long sides and sew together ala Lazy Girl Patterns. I did add some quilting template plastic to the bottom to give it a little more structure.  I also used a heavy weight interfacing to help with the structure.
So far I am really enjoying my new bag!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want your new bag! LOVE it! -Jenny

Unknown said...

I love it! I'm with Jenny on this one, I want one! :-)

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Cute bag!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

Unknown said...

Oooh, I love it! I'm gonna have to try this one.

P.S. - We share a name!!

About Southern Belle said...

What a terrific bag! I love the paisley fabric!

beautifulnest dot blogspot dot com

Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique said...

Great bag good job on coordinating the fabrics.
Thank you for the link i had completely forgotten about this bag :)
Enjoy showing off your new bag

Twin Inspiration said...

Cute bag! I love the fabric. I have an Amy Butler bag pattern I need to work on. You have motivated me to get started on mine.

Lisa
www.twininspiration.blogspot.com

Q @ JAQS said...

That's a very cute bag. I don't know which part I love more the inside or outside. Great, colorful and playful use of fabrics.

seven thirty three said...

I love this! Great job.

Thanks for linking with Sugar & Spice.

Bumblebee and Sophie said...

Very nice! I'm a fan of many pockets....and when something functional looks this cute...PERFECT!

amy, hannah, and ellie said...

We are your newest followers! This is adorable!
apronsandart.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love it!

Lina Thomlinson said...

Love the fabric! Thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial. Looks like a good one.

annies home said...

love the yellow bag with blue paisleys how very cute. Thanks for sharing I am a new follower of yours

anne maskell said...

This is just the bag I have been looking for! I love the paisley print. Thanks so much for sharing!

Terrell said...

This is way adorable! I'm happy to be your newest follower and would love to have you as a friend at FFD! I'm having a link party/giveaway each Friday and would like to invite you to link up! Hope to see you there!
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

Katie said...

I love the fabric choices, I think the solid on top really makes the pretty pattern pop.