Friday, July 24, 2009

Foodie Friday: Italian Garden Salad


Here is another recipe from the latest edition of the Taste of Home Magazine. This month I found lots of yummy looking recipes that I knew I would want to try. I also had the same luck with the current copy of the Rachael Ray Magazine. I love months like that. It really gets the creative juices flowing. (Not to mention the salivary glands.) Both M and I really enjoyed this fresh salad. We don't have a garden, but it would be great to use your own homegrown vegetables in it.


Ingredients:
Dressing:
-6 T canola oil
-3 T sugar
-2 T vinegar (The recipe calls for white wine vinegar, and wouldn't you know it, I was fresh out. I substituted half white vinegar and half balsamic vinegar.)
-1 t garlic salt
-1 t dried parsley
-1 t basil
-1/2 t oregano
-1/4 t onion powder

Salad:
-8 oz uncooked spaghetti
-1 c cut up green beans
-2 c cubed cooked chicken
-1 med. yellow pepper, julienned (The recipe called for green, but I had a yellow, so I grabbed it and julienned it up.)
-1 med. zucchini, sliced
-1 sm. yellow summer squash, sliced
-16 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
-1 sm onion, sliced
(The recipe also called for 4 oz. of Colby-Jack cheese, cubed. I find that some cheeses get slimy in a salad like this, so I omitted it. It also had Parmesan for sprinkling and we were out so that was also omitted.)

Directions:
Cook spaghetti according to package, adding green beans during the last 4 minutes of cooking. Combine the dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Add other salad ingredients. Drain the spaghetti and beans; rinse in cold water. Add to other ingredients. Toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled. (Or just go ahead and eat it right away. That's what we did. There was plenty left over to refrigerate and eat later.)

No comments: