Friday, August 14, 2009

Foodie Friday: Five Ingredient Rhubarb Squares


A true summer delicacy, rhubarb. While we don't have a garden here yet, it usually isn't hard to procure some rhubarb from someone in the summer. Mine came from M's parents' house, but I am sure I could have found some around here as well. I wasn't ready to use it right away so it got chopped and put in the freezer until a more convenient time. (I believe Jenny took care of this for me over affirmation weekend.) I had already made two loaves of rhubarb bread with it (I'll get that recipe up soon) and still had plenty left to make this recipe one night when my mom was here. I got this recipe from the Betty Crocker website.


Ingredients:
-1 box yellow cake mix
-1 c butter, cut into small pieces
-1 3/4 c sugar
-3 eggs
-4 c sliced fresh rhubarb
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350. Reserve 2 T cake mix. In large bowl, cut butter into remaining cake mix, using pastry blender, until crumbly. In bottom of ungreased cake pan, pat 2 1/4 c of mixture. Reserve remaining mixture for topping. Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
2. In large bowl, beat reserved 2 T cake mix, the sugar and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Stir in rhubarb. Pour over partially baked crust. Sprinkle remaining crumbly mixture over top.
3. Bake 45- 55 minutes longer until golden brown and center is set. Cool slightly and serve plain, with ice cream, or with whipped topping.

No comments: