Thursday, September 3, 2009

Back To School

"Fall is here, hear the yell


Back to school, ring the bell


Brand new shoes, walking blues


Climb the fence, books and pens


I can tell that we are gonna be friends


Yes I can tell that we are gonna be friends"




This is the first fall in 25 years that I will not be going back to school. People keep asking how I feel about not teaching this year. To be honest, it hasn't really sunk in yet. Who knows, it may never really sink in. To me, I am not a teacher right now, I am a mother. I have entered an entirely new phase of my life. This phase is very distinct and different from the past phases in my life. It is almost like starting a new life completely separate from the past.




Just because I have a new title in life doesn't mean that my personality has completely changes, though. Yesterday I found myself browsing the school supply isles at Target and Wal-Mart soaking up all of the new school supply scents and sights. Although I practiced self restraint and only sniffed the Crayolas (You've Got Mail, anyone?), I couldn't resist the urge to pick up a new planner for myself. Isn't it cute?


I must be thinking about school a bit though, because I had a back to school nightmare last night. I was the teacher and totally unprepared for the oodles of preschoolers that I had coming in. It was quite amusing looking back on it, but I had that feeling of complete dread during it. At least I don't have to worry about it coming true this year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This post is forcing me to put in our "Curious George" soundtrack. Not a bad thing.