Thursday, June 16, 2011

Foodie Friday: Strawberry Lemonade Scones

I recently found this recipe through Pinterest. (More on that later, but for now let me say I love that site!!) This recipe was published on the website Munchkin Munchies. I have a deep love for scones. And these are a nice refreshing summer-time scone. Enjoy!

Strawberry Lemonade Scones

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (chilled, not softened), cut into cubes
1 cup diced fresh strawberries
1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries (The grocery store I went to didn't have any, so I did without.)
1 generous tablespoon lemon zest
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup heavy cream
Topping:
sugar
Sanding sugar
Cream
Prepared lemon curd (Again, I didn't purchase any of this, so I didn't top it with anything other than the sanding sugar.)


Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 400 degrees  F.  In large bowl mix together flour,  sugar, baking powder, and salt.  With pastry blender, cut in butter cubes until mixture has coarse crumbs.  Gently add both kinds of strawberries and the lemon zest. Make a well in the center of the mixture and set aside.
2.       In a medium bowl, mix together eggs and cream.  Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Gently stir until moistened.
3.       Place dough onto a well floured surface.  Gently knead the dough by folding and pressing it about 7 times, turning the dough a quarter turn after each fold. Move dough to a lightly floured parchment-lined baking sheet (or stoneware baking sheet without parchment). Pat dough into a ¾ inch-thick circle. Cut circle into wedges and separate each slightly.
4.       Brush wedges with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 16-20 minutes until golden brown.   Drizzle scones with lemon curd and top with sanding sugar.  Makes 8-12 scones.

I am linking to:
Sweet Tooth Friday at Ali-n-Son

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE scones and I love the flavors you chose for these!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

Scones are one of my favorite breakfast treats. Lemonade scones sound perfect for summer.

Thanks for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you again this week.