Monday, July 11, 2011

The Ric Rac Stripe Quilt

When our Little Cream first arrives, (s)he will be living in the comfort and luxury of our master bedroom closet just as Peachy did. It really is practical and makes it easier on everyone. However, once the multiple night feedings slow down and more of a schedule is established, Cream will make his/her way downstairs. The plan is to have the kiddos share a room. We have a three bedroom house and just aren't ready to give up the extra bedroom at this time. Obviously if the room sharing doesn't work out, we will have to rethink our plan, but for now that is what we will do.
So, instead of preparing a nursery for Cream, I am making additions to Peachy's room to make it her big girl room as well as the nursery. Since we moved the twin bed in it has mainly been used as an extra surface. And you know what an extra surface means?? It usually has stuff piled on it. I have been making an effort at keeping it clean and working on making it into a true bed. I began by collecting the materials I would need to make a quilt for the bed. I wanted to quilt to fit into the current decor, but have a touch of girl to it as well. I decided to make a strip quilt using primarily polka dot fabrics. I found about half of my fabrics at fabric.com and the others I picked up at Hobby Lobby. Instead of purchasing fabric for the backing, I found a bedding set at Target to use.
After planning the quilt out on graph paper, it was time to start cutting. I decided to use the quilt as you go method for this one, a first for me. It worked out quite well and allowed me to finish the quilt in 4 days. After the piecing/quilting process, I added the ric-rac to random seams. I also decided that I would bind the quilt using all of the fabrics from the top--another first.
I really like how it turned out. I can't wait to get the rest of the room put together now. Don't worry. I will be sharing with you as soon as it is completed.

I am sharing with:
Tip Junkie handmade projects







Dragonfly Designs













Photobucket

Somewhat Simple
http://www.bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/




Making


Sumo's Sweet Stuff
The Girl Creative
Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party

Mondays @ All Things Fee!


Todays Creative Blog


Photobucket

Keeping It Simple

11 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Cahuuute! Love the stripes!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the rest of the room! The quilt is adorable. Come and share this with WorkShop Wednesday. It would be a great addition to the party!

Homemade Heather said...

I love the fabric you chose. Thanks for linking up!

Amy @MoMomma said...

This is adorable! Come link up on my blog hop on Friday. I'm going to "Pin" this quilt for myself later. Great job.

Mimi said...

Beautiful! I love your colors and patterns. Plus I have always like ric rac. I've never made a quilt but I keep seeing so many beautiful ones like this! Maybe one day.
Thanks for sharing at Bacon Time!

Mindie Hilton said...

Thanks for linking up to Bacon Time. Following you with GFC :)

Hope you will link up each week. Love your quilt. I have enjoyed using ric rac recently too for making flowers. fun.

Brit said...

Beautiful quilt! Love the added ric rac, perfect! Thanks for linking up with us this week! Hope you will party with us again.
Britney
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Just Jaime said...

So pretty! Love the fun colors!

Pamela said...

Adorable. Love the colors -- they make me smile. And the rickrack adds even more cuteness.

I love finding new blogs to follow. I'm eager to check out all your tutorials.

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

I love the way it came out and the pictures you took were great as well! I am visiting from Sumo's Sweet Stuff and I am a new follower!!! I hope you have a great week and that I see you around soon!!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.