Friday, September 2, 2011

Foodie Friday: Baked Chocolate Donuts

It was a total pregnancy moment. I was up in the middle of the night unable to sleep. I was on Pinterest. I saw a recipe for baked donuts. I didn't stop with pinning the recipe, no. I pinned that recipe, jumped on to Amazon, ordered the pan and waited anxiously for its arrival. While the donuts were delicious, I can't say that they will be taking the place of fried donuts anytime soon. They turned out more like soft cakes. In case you would like to order your own donut pan, I found mine here.
Baked Chocolate Donuts (from Fake Ginger)
Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg

Directions

Lightly grease a doughnut tin and preheat the oven to 350F.
Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda, and then whisk in the sugar, cinnamon and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, buttermilk, vanilla and egg. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not overmix, or your doughnuts may be a bit rubbery.
Fill each cup 1/2 to 3/4 full. You can do this with a spoon, but I prefer using a piping bag to fill each cup more evenly and cleanly. It’s important not to overfill, or as the doughnuts rise, you’ll lose the hole.
Bake for 6 to 10 minutes (depending on the size of your doughnut pan), until the doughnuts spring back when touched. Let cool slightly on a wire rack before glazing.
I glazed mine with a mixture of powdered sugar and milk.


1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yum! Great midnight snack when you have that pregnancy insomnia! And I'm thinking I want some for those last night feedings!