Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Finding My Groove

In the fall of 2010 I ran my first ever 5k. I was proud of my accomplishment, but then quickly hung up my running shoes, became pregnant, and had a baby. While I know that you can still run when you are going through pregnancy and caring for a newborn, it just wasn't for me. And while losing the baby weight wasn't an issue for me, I knew I was hopelessly out of shape soon after Cream's birth. I attempted the odd postpartum workout, but my heart really wasn't in it. A funny thing happens to me in the spring, though. I always get the itch to start running. That itch is usually scratched when I get out there and realize how out of shape I am and how I really don't care to run. (Someone once put it very well, "You know that runners high other people talk about? I don't get it." Ah, so true.) But with the beautiful weather of the early spring I fell for the dream that I can be a runner.

And so one evening I announced that I was going for a run. Peachy was very confused as to why I would go out for a run. Obviously it was a foreign concept to her. Mr Cherry wished me well, but I could see the amusement in his eyes. But I went for it and came home huffing and puffing after about one mile. My Facebook status that evening was "I hit the pavement for the first time in 16 months." After that I may have opened my big mouth while out with friends one night that I would be running the 5k at the big marathon in town taking place in May. And do you know what? My friends were paying attention and remembered what I had said the next day. (How on earth did you remember that, Emily?) And one friend reminded me that I had said the same thing as I walked the very same event last May. (You have a good memory, Janet!)
And do you know what I did? I signed up for the 5k AND promised to run another with family in June! (My big mouth can sure get me into trouble at times!) And then I really sealed the deal by joining a gym. I may not always stick to my plans, but when I pay money for something you better believe I won't let it go to waste. And so, you can find me at the gym. Sometimes I go when Mr Cherry can stay home with the girls in the evenings or on weekends. And other times I go and drop the girls off at the drop in daycare. (Peachy is all about going to daycare.)
Slowly but surely I have been putting in a few miles here and a few more there. Finally, yesterday, I ran a full 5k. I am not going to say that it was pretty. And there is still room for improvement. But I know that I will be able to accomplish my goal in a month. And do you know what? I actually have been enjoying my time at the gym. It is a really good release for me. And the endorphin rush can really boost my spirits. So, you know that runners high? I kind of get it.

No comments: